Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Stand

I decided to take two books with me on my trek to Nepal as I would be gone for 8 weeks to do as they say the Lantang and Annapurna Sanctuary and Around Annapurna treks. But two would last me only if they were big or slow to get through so I took my Methodist church copy of The Bible and Stephen King's unabridged The Stand. I gave up on The Stand after King mentions Randall Flagg having eyes like the creature in Predator but the movie came out in 1987 and the The Stand in 1978 and even though I knew King had updated some pop culture stuff I was put off but happy that the trip up came in the first third of the book and not in the last few pages like in Blood Meridian. So I put down The Stand and picked up The Bible. The Bible ended up being way scarier and a whole lot more contradictory and arbitrary than the stand and I left it in a lodge in Chamje on the Annapurna Sanctuary and spent my evenings reading The Stand. I made a list of the characters and what happens in each chapter, just like Wikipedia does now.

No comments: